Type of Mats Needed for Home Gym

Subject: type of mats needed

Sex: female
Age: 9
Gymnastics Level: 5

I just purchased a bar equipment for my daughter and was wondering what kind of mats I need for underneath. Also, I am planning on buying a low beam for her and do I need a different type of mats for that?  

thank you.

The mat for under bars, for safety, should be an 8″ thick mat and as wide as possible and still fit under the bar (so it will depend on what bars you have bought and how wide they are). The regulation mat under the regulation bars is 7.5′ wide, but home bars are often narrower. If you buy a mat for bars wide enough (gyms often have 6′ wide mats under their high beams), and also long enough, you could use that same mat under the beam.  Then  you could get away with one mat and she could switch depending on which event she was doing. If you are going to buy two mats, one for each bars and beam, the mats used under low beams in gyms are usually Regulation CLM (Competition Landing Mats) that are 4.75″ thick, but are considerably more expensive than the 8″ thick mats because they are regulation.

There are many companies that make good mats. Try to buy from one close to you to minimize shipping. My favorite beam home and gym training device is actually a foam floor beam on an 1.25″ thick mat.

I also usually really recommend that parents spend their money on more time in the gym, rather than buy home equipment.  When she moves up to optionals, she will be in the gym every day practicing at regular practice with real equipment and mats and won’t have much time, if any, to do anything at all at home,. So at least think about going more hours now or taking private lessons, instead of spending your money on equipment she will likely not be using in two years.

Good luck.

Have Your Own Questions?
Ask The Coach
If you have questions relating to gymnastics, we will do our best to provide you with answers to the best of our ability.

Tags: ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply