If you are an artistic competitive gymnast in the U.S., you are likely already a member of the USA Gymnastics federation. There are a number of other tumbling related federations, all of which you should know about so you understand what is going on in the sport.
The tumbling USAG ATTA Federation offers additional opportunities for competition just in power tumbling. Gymnasts learn to compete primarily by competing. Competitions are fun and motivate gymnasts to put out 100% effort, which is always good. The more competitions athletes perform in, the more they learn about how to compete and become experienced in dealing with the pressures of competition on the road.
It is also a great sport for those who don’t have the time to train all four events for artistic gymnastics and yet still wish to participate in the gymnastics and tumbling arena.
Power tumbling is performed on elevated spring runways that help tumblers propel themselves higher than a basketball goal as they demonstrate speed, strength and skill while executing a series of acrobatic maneuvers. Top-level tumblers will perform explosive multiple somersaults with multiple twists. Former national Champion and current women’s National Team competitor, Yuliya Hall, performs passes like double twisting double layouts, double layout, punch double pike and tumbles out of layout full-ins and double layouts.
There is a whole history of different tumbling surfaces that have been used for power tumbling, including spring floors, ski floors, and now state-of-the-art fiber-glass rod floors.
With a run and runway over a hundred feet long, there is plenty of speed and power and excitement in the sport of power tumbling and it is also a great training tool for artistic gymnasts who must train in tumbling anyway.
ATTA – American Tumbling and Tramp Association
- Competition at all levels for power tumbling and trampoline.
- Low level requirements for competition allowing early access to competition experience and success.
- Local, Regional, National and International competition opportunities.
- Tumbling emphasizes combinations rather than high level individual skills.
- Competition opportunities scarce in some areas of the country.
- Tumbling and trampoline approved as Olympic sports now.
- Affiliated with USA Gymnastics as well as the International Federation of Olympic Sports and has excellent Developmental Progressions.
- Trampoline was an Exhibition Sport in 1996 and a full-fledged Olympic Sport in 2000.
- Elite tumblers compete in World Cup Competitions.